Tuesday 18 October 2011

Threads to make with and threads to mend

Well, my lovely new threads are rather photogenic if I do say so myself :] I was given a beautiful old Singer sewing machine a few months ago and am still getting to grips with it (pictures to follow soon!) but I thought I should treat it to some new threads of its own as I'd only had, and used up, the one spool I could use on it. I haven't had a sewing machine of my own before this one but had always found the hand/foot coordination of the modern ones I'd used previously rather tricky, so when I was told I could keep it or sell it if I wanted a more modern one I of course said nooo - keeep!! (and gave Brigid lots and lots of hugs!) The Singer I have, I must explain, is a hand crank machine, not a treadle, meaning no foot action is necessary, woohoo! So far I've made a few things on it, but then I ran out of thread, time and immediately do-able ideas so haven't made anything for a few weeks. I still have a cushion inner collecting dust somewhere so I think I may try a patchwork cover next out of some flowery fabric I bought recently. One day I'd love to make my own massive quilt for the bed using lots of different, brightly coloured squares, so a smaller cushiony version would be good practice I think.

To tide me over until I get round to the Giant Quilt project, as it may one day become, I've been searching the charity and vintage shops as well as online for some traditional wool blankets to keep me warm this winter. I bought this one in a charity shop for a pound (!!) and now after a wash and dry it smells lovely and is keeping me toasty here on the sofa. It had been blanket stitched, but as you can see from the photo it has come undone in
places and needs some tlc. I will, dear blanket, do it one day I promise, but at least you're clean and smell ok now! I have another lovely blanket, orange this time (it'll so not match but eventually I plan on having a pick and choose type pile of blankets anyway so its ok), on its way from somewhere via ebay, but according to the website it still hasn't been dispatched yet.. and I paid for it on the 12th.. perhaps they've forgotten, and if so will feel rather bad when they remember, and then throw in another blanket for free :] Besides blanket mending, I'm hoping to get some more cards made to put up on etsy but I've been rather busy with Uni work recently (I'm in my final year and it seems I've only just realised..) so I might be posting on projects past, rather than present or future, for the time being. Ooo I know what I'll post next.. hehee.

No comments: